Thursday, February 15, 2007

I can't believe it, It was so obvious!

When I was about 9 years old, I discovered how cool the music was on the radio, I wanted to be cool, Like my friend, Donna, who always listened to the cool radio stations. ok so at the time it was AM I don't know, was there an FM in 1971? I think so, My uncle, listened to the stations that were constantly full of static? But then again, crappy equipment might also have been the culprit, AM would suffice-o.k. what did I really know, I was only 9!

There was this song I totally thought was the coolest.. and for years I could only remember the chorus..."... Keep playing that rock and roll..... " didn't know who sang it, didn't know any of the other words... but I totally loved this song, it was cool, I was cool,as I listened to the radio.. My sunday mornings were filled with Kasey Casem and the American top 40! "keep your feet planted firmly in the ground and keep reaching for the sky"...

I've been having some difficulty with my radio in my office these last few days. I'm having the same sort of problem My friend Mistress is having with her favorite station ... another station is "trumping" her KPKL (are those the right call letters, Mistress?)Anyway, I finally had had enough, I totally left the classic rock station and when to light rock of the 70's, 80's and 90's.. their slogan... "light rock, less talk" cool....but I was curious about the station etc so I pulled them up on the "net" ( I love the internet! such a wealth of info, although I'm still looking for someone...) on their site was a link to www.allmusic.com and I typed in the chorus to the song...DAH I am a DORK, apparently that was the name of the song too, by Edgar Winter. Not being an EDGAR Winter fan ( I think his look scared me) I wanted to make sure this was the same song I had remembered so long ago... you know age, mind, memory... not always working hand in hand these days....
Sure as shit!!! It was the same song! I was so happy!

though... Slamming heel of hand to my forehead... so stinking obvious!

And how was your day!!!

4 comments:

Barbara said...

Hello !
I'am so happy you could get "reunited" with your oldie but goodie ! I know how that feels when you don't remember who sang what or what si it's name. Thank you www !
I know that you are a CA girl, and the stations are K s out to the West.
I had the oldies station KIKI in Honolulu a long time.And my folks listened to KGMB which also has the TV station, channel 9 ( small place, Honolulu !).
You made me smile with Kasey Kasem and the Top 40! Is he still with that??

Take care , and have a great weekend.

The Mistress of the Dark said...

East coast letters start with W...It's WPKL The Pickle :)

Anthony said...

Isn't that the best feeling? Can't tell you how many times that's happened to me.
The Internet is great for that. With the real obscure ones, it works in Yahoo or Google, too. It will usually link you to a lyric page.

bananas62 said...

Barbara! I have no idea if Kasey Kasem' still does the count down, but I don't think I've heard it in years! I kind of miss it!!!

Mistress! I knew I was close with the call letters! lucky girl!

Anthony!it is the best feeling to finallyget the answer I was looking for...I just now have to find the copy of the CD! And play it til I'm sick of it! and then forget about it for another 35 years!