Sunday, November 19, 2006

THE HOLIDAY CHAOS IS BUILDING UP

Well, once a year about this time, we-the huddled masses-(or at least a 95%of us) go into a frenzie about the Holidays! Myself included! I spent a major portion of the day Saturday watching the FoodNetwork with my mom. I watched my favorites; Paula, Giada, Sandra, Michael and Rachel putting together Holiday dinners that would make even those with the best culinary skill cry! While they put together, effortlessly, these fabulous edible masterpieces, smiling laughing, joking around with the family, telling us about their traditions, and all the fun they have during the holidays! But it makes one wonder, is this just for TV? Do they ever have a disaster in the kitchen? fight amongst the family? Who really does all the dishes afterwards?
Panic sets in as I realize that Christmas is now just around the corner, I'm only half way done with my shopping, I started in July, and since I make my own Christmas cards each year... crap, I haven't even started those at all, tho I have an Idea. I'd like to say I was much more "together", but...NO. I guess I just work well under pressure... but why do I do this to myself? My Neice and nephews like cash, that should be easy right? But to a "kid at heart" like me, I like to open presents! (I know grow the hell up) My sister in law has made it perfectly clear, not to give them anything other than cash...My sister has said my nephew likes cash, this should be easy, but why do I feel cheated that I don't get to buy a present? I know get over it and don't complain! My sister and I have in past years, done a Shopping marathon, We start when the stores open and keep going until we get tired or we;re out of cash... ususally it's the latter! :-)
We have fun just the same!
But as much as I bitch about it! I love this time of year! I love that my living room is (literally) flooded with wrapping paper, my mom nags about being careful not to accidently throw away the christmas checks she gives to the kids, And my kids saying , I don't have any place to put their new stuff and the fact that my youngest comes out with a list of items for next year! the count down begins!!!! Good luck!

4 comments:

The Mistress of the Dark said...

You know why its so easy for them? They are making T-day for 4 people. Who has 4 people for the holidays? Not I!

BTW the tabloids are saying Rachel's hubby is already cheating on her. Poor thing

Anonymous said...

LALALALALA....I am not listening! I won't get a damned thing done until the week before Christmas and then I'll be crying that I wasn't an ant like you... I AM the grasshopper aesop wrote about.

bananas62 said...

M.of the D!, Yeah I hope somewhere down the line, they know they inspire me... food, traditions, good times, good times! But planning the meal is a "negatory" as hubby does the planning and most of the cooking! I guess, I can't complain too much! I'm just there to make the ROT KULH (German Red Cabbage, which is is mom's dish) oh yeah, and too look good too! Mostly at my house on T-day: food, beer and football, and then a nice big nap!!!

and you, miss Jennifer! Grab my hand! I'll pull you into reality. I can't believe you wait until the last minute, considering you start Halloween costumes in what..August??? ;-)

Anonymous said...

It's a wonderful life! (isn't it?) Gotta love it even on Christmas Eve fighting the crowds at the malls. I'll admit I put off the shopping thing til the last minute but, this year I'll most likely do most of that online.