Friday, October 27, 2006

DIRECTIONALLY CHALLENGED CHAOS

Well, dear friends, you have read my ramblings about “little S” my directionally challenged daughter. Today my friends, she is taking on a huge undertaking. She is driving to Fresno to visit her best friend, who is attending the J.C. there.

When she first told me she was driving down for a visit. My questions were:
1) With whom? She told me that it was just going to be herself.
PANIC struck as I remembered earlier that day, she couldn’t find a particular office here in town. One she’d been to 3 or 4 times already, she called me panicked and in tears that she couldn’t find it.

2) Are you taking Baby K? No was her reply, baby K was going to stay over nite with her best friends mom. :-( It made me sad to think she wasn’t going to be with us, but BF’s mom has known Little S since Little S and BF became BFs in Kindergarten. And she has been begging to baby-sit Baby K since Day 1. O.k. I will share. + She’s only a mile away. If I go into baby withdrawals I can go visit.
3) Do you know how to get there? NO, but BF said it’s a straight shot down Highway99 (never is the direction, NORTH OR SOUTH mentioned. That would throw her in a tailspin)… hum you might know what my next question was.

4) Do you know which Highway, Highway 99 is? Her reply? Yah, it’s the one I used to take when I worked at Del Taco. YEAHHHHHH!!!!

So for the next day or so I was thinking of friends that could take the ride down with her, I really didn’t want her to drive by herself on her first real road trip (even though she’s 19 with a baby. I’m still a mom) they all are working. However, I grin to myself, because I love win-win situations. I have found a friend. She has a friend whose boyfriend lives in Fresno!!!! Yeah and neither one of them own a car so, there is her riding companion! J said she would love to drive down with “Little S”! Here was my question. “Does J know how to get to Fresno?” “Well,” she replied she’d “been there once before.” normally her boyfriend takes the train up to visit. Great… I went on Map quest (I love Map quest) plugged in necessary addresses and got directions that should get her from Point A to Point B with out any complications…’cept this is my kid driving. She looked at the map and said I don’t know how to read a map…. oh, my breaking heart…. “Little S,” I said, “don’t then look at the map, read the directions.” She looked at me like I had spoken to her in a foreign language. I looked at J; she said, “No problem, we got it!” I love the confidence!

I just called, & recited to her my “I love you” and “drive carefully and do you have your AAA card” and lets not forget “have fun, but be careful” speech. She’s about ready to leave, her first really big “road trip” This is going to be good for her!! Right??????

2 comments:

Pendullum said...

Oncea mom always a Mom...
Tell her to call when she get there???? I guess that would be pushing the envelope...
My mother will still tell me to button up if it is cold...
And I am 40...

bananas62 said...

Thank God for Cell phones, as I called her and J often to make sure they were still headed in the right direction! She made it safe and sound and she's very proud of herself!!! I am too.. and I told her!!!

Once a daughter, always a daughter too! To this day, I can't drink (not that I do) in front of my mother, she just shakes her head! tsk,tsk,tsk!!!