Sunday, October 15, 2006

THE CHAOS BAD MANNERS CAUSE!

I gave a co-worker a baby shower this weekend. I was excited! I love to have parties and for some strange and odd reason, I love the planning, stress, staying up til midnite the nite before and all the other "fun" stuff that goes along with planning brings.

The guest list included up to 30-32 people. Not a problem, It was going to be a nice weekend, still fairly early in October so I wasn't worried about rain, snow(not that it snows here)or other harsh elements! The only problem that there ever seems to be is how many people to plan food for. Let's see, Do I plan for food for 30 when only 12 have RSVP'D?? Do I plan food for 12 when 30 have been invited?

For the last few days the guest of honor and myself had been in a quandary as too the amount of food. You want to have enough for everyone but then you don't want too much that you're eating this stuff for days upon days!

My mom always told me to RSVP! The invitation said Please RSVP. I realized that RSVP is French for (and I will misspell this) Respondezvous sil vous plait- and while here in Cali French is not the next language of choice ... but the acronym has been around for a really really long time. Is this not something that has been passed around from Mother to daugher for generations? I can remember my mom telling me what RSVP meant and why it was important. WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY?

Well, the day went well, We had beans, rice and tamales. And, well, thanks to lack of responders,my freezer is full of rice, beans and tamales! And this was after the guest of honor took food home! To those who responded, Thank you! Your moms have taught you well, and you, yourselves are aware of the hard work that goes into planning something so memorable and fun for someone else. To those who failed to do anything.. well.. I reserved the right to shrug my shoulders, shake my head and say some people just have bad manners. I just hope they are at the planning end of a party soon.!!! :-)

2 comments:

ditzymoi said...

it seems there are quite a few things lacking lately, the small common courtesys and niceties are disapearing :(

ditzymoi said...

and it was a fantastic shower...you did a great job :) *hugs*