Saturday, January 05, 2008

And Now For The Weather!!!

OMG!!! We Central California folk are seriously spoiled by our California weather! Very seldom do we, here, in the Big Valley, experience what we have experienced in the last 48 hours! We are just now seeing an end to our Severe Weather Alerts! Left behind however are the remnants of flooded gutters, fallen trees, downed fences and in general debris strung from one end of the neighborhood to the other.Don't get me wrong we have rain, and winds and stormy weather but for the most part not nearly as severe as have just experienced. WOW!

I sat, watching, in disbelief, the news commentators explain and show visuals just how bad the winds were! How bad were they? They were so bad that they literally knocked over SEMI TRUCKS!!! In my little town, the winds at one point were up 50 mph! Wild huh?

My sister works in a grocery store, she stated that people come into the store in a panic to purchase, firewood, water, batteries, candles, flashlights, and other assorted "storm supplies" to the point that they store was out of supplies! Can you believe that? Total panic mode. Shouldn't this be something one should be prepared for?

Friday my Girls called me around 10am, at work, to let me know our power was out and they were bored,I told them find something to do and let me get back to work. Anyway,I got home and they girls were sitting on the couch listening to little G's ipod! No fighting, no nothing, they looked as if they were actually getting along with one another!!!! Praise the lord! I went out to the garage and grabbed the camping gear, including the propane! Is it silly of me to over buy propane? I think not! My lantern saved the day!!! It was a cozy evening just around 9pm, I glance over at the spouse who was asleep, glanced at Little G who what entranced with her movie on her Ipod.. ( that is a clever little gadget!)and decided I will seize the moment and take a hot steaming bath by candle light... just as my big toe hits the water... the lights come on! Damn! Oh well, a nice relaxing bath, here I come just the same.

My friend, who lives in the Sierra foothills stated he's been without power, since Friday morning...that sucks if your not a survivor, and you have a well that runs all your water issues...*potty especially* or teenage girls!!! hee hee! My girls are grossed out when the toilet gets clogged, imagine not being able to flush for 2 days.! That actually kind of grosses me out as well!

I think we'll all be back to normal very soon...Whatever normal is. Many people around here WILL have to do some damage control. But it could have been much worse and it was in other parts of the valley and parts of California, I'm waiting to see what the levee behind my house does.... *grimacing at the thought of the levee breaking!*

3 comments:

The Mistress of the Dark said...

We've apparently stolen some of your weather. It's going to be in the 60's here in SW PA today.

Barbara said...

Hi Anne,
Yes, I heard about the bad weather. I called cousin Bill in San Diego Saturday, and he was telling me about the rain down south.
But, up North it was pretty bad.
Ipod saved the day and well as Mom's propane. If we would need to, we havr propane too ( we used to camp).
Be prepared, as the scouts say.
You take care my friend.

bananas62 said...

Andrea! 60!!! How are ya gonna act!!! It's really calm again yet, there is supposed to be another storm coming in tomorrow... we'll see.....
hey Barbara!
I thank the Lord above for pushing me to buy that dumb Ipod!!!! nothing is worse than listening to a 13 year old complain she can't listen to music ... well, other than the music she is listening to!