Wednesday, July 19, 2006

DIRECTIONALLY CHALLENGED CHAOS no other words can describe it!

My 18 year old is one of the most sweetest(blonde), prettiest (Blonde)girls, Young women, I know! She has a heart of gold, a fairly good work ethic, but that doesn't include cleaning her room, and is a relatively good, new mom... baby K is 2 months old. >That whole situation is for another time...
Tonite S calls from her cell, panicked, they closed the freeway I don't know how to get home. Now I have had this conversation with her before, but this time, she hadn't even left the town she works in. the conversation goes something like this:
s "THEY CLOSED THE FREEWAY, I DON'T KNOW HOW TO GET HOME"
she has to be on 3 different freeways to get home....
me" WHAT FREEWAY DID THEY CLOSE?"
S " I DON'T KNOW, THE FREEWAY"
again I ask "WHAT FREEWAY?"
then she begins to babble about Fresno... THAT'S 3 HOURS AWAY
and I'm thinking to myself.. this is gonna be a long nite! So finally I realized I needed to approach this in a different direction...
me "Where are you at?"
S " I'm at IN and OUT"
me "Which one?"
s "IN AND OUT!!!"
deep breathing is really helping me out right now...
"Are you at the IN and OUT in our town or in the town where you work?"
"BY MY WORK!!!!!"
This little bit of information helped out greatly... I got her on the correct road and "talked" her through the entire (small) town. Keeping in mind that you can't say "head west on xxx street" because NORTH, SOUTH, EAST AND WEST are just words to her... not directions. You have to say turn right and go straight!
I remember at that age, I was driving all over California, able to read a map. It just baffles me that she has absolutely no sense of direction, How can that be?
I guess that's why for those directionally challenged, new cars come with Navigation systems!

3 comments:

Pendullum said...

Good on you!
Patience of a saint... or should I say Grandmother...
Congratulations on both accounts!

Jennfactor 10 said...

My ex had a sense of direction like that... ah, memories :}

ditzymoi said...

poor blondie haha! i think its cute that shes so directionlly challenged!